Friday, August 24, 2007

Have Master's Degree, Will (Can)Teach

I like this idea from Victor Davis Hanson:
To encourage our best minds to become teachers, we should also change the qualifications for becoming one. Students should be able to pursue careers in teaching either by getting a standard teaching credential or by substituting a master’s degree in an academic subject. That way we will eventually end up with more instructors with real academic knowledge rather than prepped with theories about how to teach.
If I wanted to teach History in Rhode Island, I'd have to go back to one of the teacher mills to get all of the proper credentials over-and-above my MA. I'm sure the other facets of "doing my time" or "paying dues" wouldn't go away, but it would certainly save me a little money and time!

No comments: