Monday, December 19, 2005

Barbary Terrorists and other topics

I skimmed Joshua London's NRO piece on the Barbary Pirates in which he compared them to modern-day Islamic terrorists, but have put off a closer reading until sometime later. I've written about the Barbary Pirates--though in a different context--before (see "Christianity as a 'Founding Religion' Disavowed: What DID the 1796 Treaty with Tripoli Say (and when did it say it)?" so it's an area of History with which I'm somewhat familiar. However, London has taken it a step farther and, at the suggestion of The Remedy's Matthew Peterson, I suppose I'll have to dig deeper into the topic soon. So, I'll move it from the back- to the front-burner...but don't hold your breath.

Here's some other stuff that piqued my interest:

Peter Heather's The Fall of the Roman Empire.

Lawrence Goldstone
's Dark Bargain: Slavery, Profits and the Struggle for the Constitution.

Matt Steinglass
examines the "clear and hold" strategy and whether it links Vietnam and Iraq.

Andrew Busch's Reagan's Victory:The Presidential Election of 1980 and the Rise of the Right

Greg James Robinson has moved to Quebec and asks what it means to be an immigrant amongst francophones.

No comments: