Thursday, October 13, 2005

About that Che Guevara T-shirt thing

Perhaps I'm making too much over a popular image t-shirt image, and though I've never really given Che Guevara much considered thought, what I did know of him made it seem odd that so many people found him, well, "cool." According to Alvaro Vargas Llosa, many of those running around wearing Che's image plastered across their chest may not really know exactly who he was either. Llosa encountered a Che-t-shirt wearing individual recently and asked him what he admired about Guevara. . . and then proceeded to refute the claims. Like I said, I'm no expert on Guevara, but to tout him as some sort of noble figure seems rather simplistic. Then again, those who do so are probably more enamored with his "counter-culture" mojo than anything else. After all, he was a cult figure in the '60's and the Vietnam War was going on, now we have Iraq, etc. Fill in the blanks.

No comments: