Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Maybe Someday....

Well, maybe someday-when the kids have grown and I can really think about making a career change (or I hit the lottery)--I'll be able to apply for a job such as this:
Medieval/Ancient World

The Department of History at Wheaton College (MA) seeks a tenure-track assistant professor with scholarly and teaching expertise in the fields of classical, late-antique, and/or medieval history. The History Department is especially interested in social or cultural historians whose thematic expertise includes gender, popular religion, material culture, cross-cultural contact, or the history of science or the environment. Geographic field open; preference for Celtic world, northwestern Europe, or southeastern Europe. Ph.D must be in hand at time of appointment. Send letter of interest, CV, and three letters of reference by November 26, 2007 to Alexander Bloom, Chair, Department of History, Wheaton College, Norton, MA, 02766. Preliminary interviews will be conducted at the 2008 AHA annual meeting. For more information, please contact hr@wheatonma.edu. AA/EOE. Wheaton College seeks educational excellence through diversity and strongly encourages applications from women and men from historically underrepresented groups.
Within an hour of my home. Possibility of working with a really interesting English professor. Damn the practical bent!!! Ok, vent over. Seriously, if I had the time and money to go for a PhD, I would. But I've got a couple kids to raise, and they come first! Besides, my engineering job ain't bad.

No comments: